Acorn Second Processors

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Sun Apr 29 04:47:55 CDT 2007

On 28/04/2007 05:18, Ensor wrote:

> Changing the subject slightly, IIRC the original "Acorn 6502 Second
> Processor" cheese-wedge was just that, a faster 6502?

Actualy, it's a 3MHz 65C02.

> Did Acorn ever release a "cheese-wedge" 65c02 or 65816?

See above :-)

>? Also, is it
> possible to replace the 6502 in one of these with a 65c02; not that I'd
> actually try it, unless the 6502 was socketed, but I recall having BIG
> problems (in fact, total failure IIRC?) when I tried running a 65c02 in
> a Model B sometime in the early 90's?

I can't think why -- it's a drop-in replacement and lots of people have
done it.  Sometimes you need to change the 74LS245 data bus buffer
that's near the 6502 to get best results, but usually only if a Second
Processor unit is involved.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager