Amstrad PCW 8256/8512

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 15:50:43 CDT 2007

>  I obtained one of these at a computer show yesterday.
> I was told that the 3" disks are still available in
> the UK. Is this so?

I don;t think they're still being made anywhere, but they're not that
rare over here. The drive interface signals are much as you'd expect (and
it's the standard data rate, 250kbps MFM), so you can link up a 3.5"
drive without too much work if you want to.

FWIW, I have the service manual for this machine. Like most Amstrad
service manuals, it's just the schematics, layouts, and parts lists, but
it's a lot more use to me than a boardswapper guide. Let me know if you
want me to try to find it and post  any specific information (like the
drive pinout)

>  This page: http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/Unix/Joyce/
> states that there is a "hideous hybrid" of an upgrade
> that effectively turns it into an PEECEE/AT. I demand
> to know where I can find one.

That's the first I've heard of it!