newbie building a scratch-built computer

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Aug 1 19:35:42 CDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Ensor wrote:
>  > That sort of thing tends to not have very much use in today's job
>  >market, unfortunately.
>
> As an assembly language programmer of some 29 years experience (not
> to mention some 31 years experience of electronics....I started
> young) I agree with that in spades!
>
> The last time I had a job as an assembly language programmer was 16
> years ago, and even then those types of jobs were damn thin on the
> ground (now they're non-existant)

   Guess I'd better quit my job, then!

   If you want to work in a world where assembly language programming
and optimizing for every single byte of code or memory utilization
still counts, get into the embedded systems world.

   A lot of (clueless) companies want their embedded code written in
Java or C++ or such foolishness, but really, if they're really that
stupid, you don't want to work for them anyway.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL