newbie building a scratch-built computer

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 17:06:34 CDT 2007

> > And learn to do it 'by hand', not just using CAD tools. The latter are
> > undoubtedly very useful, but knowing how to do things by hand will let
> > you know when said CAD systems have made a right mess of your design.
>
> Over and over again I see newbies struggling with what they're trying to =
> do=20
> and what the simulation is telling them should be happening,  which isn't=
> =20
> necessarily all that connected to the real world.

CAD tools are undobtedly very useful and powerful if used correctly. But
that last qualifier is important ;-). My view is that the use of such
tools increases the 'difference' between good and bad designers, they
make good designers (who know how to use them, and not to trust
everything the simulator says!) even better. And they make poor designers
even worse, bexause such people fiddle on the simulator until it seems to
work, not rralsing the result probably won't work in practice, or any
least won't work reliably.