8085 vs 8085A

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Aug 6 14:25:30 CDT 2007

On 6 Aug 2007 at 20:48, river wrote:

> Why did Intel bring out the 8085A? Were there issues with the 8085?

I don't think that 8085's aren't particularly rare; basically the
original NMOS implementation.  The 8085A fixed a few bugs--IIRC,
there were some issues in device selection timing (easily fixed with
a little "glue") and it seems to me that there was also a strange
race condition among the RST x.5 and TRAP interrupts.  Maybe someone
remembers--the 8085a came along pretty quickly after the 8085.

Far better than either of the NMOS versions, however are the -AH
HCMOS models.  Faster clocks and much lower power drain.

Cheers,
Chuck