UK VCF?

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Mon Aug 6 19:18:08 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 23:47 +0100, Tony Duell wrote:
> > We've tried small generators as backup to small UPs units, and they
> > don't get on.  Big ones are OK, that's the sort of thing they're
> > designed for.
>
> What do you mean by 'large' and 'small'? For a VCF-like event, I would
> expect one of those large units that's trasported on a lorry, the sort of
> thing you use for a large outdoor concert, or an entire (large) building
> site, not one of those little things you pick up with one hand and give
> you 13A (@240V) if you're lucky.

Yes, the lorry-transported ones are what I had in mind.  Part of the
improvement is because they have a massive torquey engine, a massive
flywheel (waaaaay bigger than the engine needs) and a big heavy rotor in
the generator.  All this rotating mass adds up to something that won't
change speed much as the load fluctuates.

The little 5bhp Honda gennies are a bit out of this league.

Gordon