Commodore 64 power jack?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Aug 9 10:26:22 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 18:11, Tony Duell wrote:

> > > Could you just use an 8-pin jack (like digi-key A32316-ND) and ignore
> > > the middle pin (cut it on the PCB side)?
> >
> > Those 8-pin sockets will accept the 7-pin plugs all right -- I once had
> > a repair where someone plugged their power supply into the video
> > connector, and the attached circuitry was NOT happy!  :-)  They'll also
> > accept the  5-pin connector,  as my bench test video/audio cable was
> > equpped with such.
>
> And for that matter the 3-pin DIN plug will fit said socket.

True,  but it's been a really long time since I ran into one of those...

> This explains the strange pin numbering of these sockets (for the 7 pin
> it's 6 1 4 2 5 3 7 rounf the arc, on the 8 pin it's the same with pin 8
> in the middle, etc) You start wit he 3 pin plug, which has the pins 1 2 3
> in the obvious, sensible, order. The 5 pin added pins 4 and 5 between
> them. The 7 pin added pins 6 and 7 on the ends.
>
> The copatibility is intentiona./ The original use of this connector was
> for audio applications, for a mono tape recorder socket. Pin one was the
> output from the radio (input to the tape recorder). Pin 2 was ground. And
> pin 3 was the input to the eadio (output from the tape recorder). For
> stereo. the 5 pin plug was used, pin 2 remained earth, pins 1 nad 3 kept
> their old functions for the ledt-hand channel ,while pins 4 and 5 were
> the corresding functions for the right-hand channel.

First time I saw these connectors was on the back of a radio my mother bought
in Germany in 1960.  :-)

> There are actually 2 other 5 pin DIN connectors. The one we've been
> talking about is commonly called 'type A' or '180 degree'. There's a
> 'type B' or '240 degree' that has a similar compatability with the 6 pin
> connecotr, and those were originally intended for 'non audio signals',
> for example PSU inputs to a battery tape recorder/radio, remote controls,
> slide projector control, etc. And there's the 'type C' or '360 degree' or
> 'Quincuncial' that was sometimes used for headphones.
>
> There's also an 8 pin version with the 2 pins at the end of the arc
> offset. It's incompatible with the normal 7 and 8 pin plugs (although
> AFAIK the 3 pi nand 5 pin plugs will fit). I've never seen an analagous 7
> pin connector.

I knew that there was at least one other variant.

> AFAIK _all_ have been sued somewhere on classic computer equipment.

And then there's that "mini-" stuff that seems so prevalent these days.

-
M Dakin