Commodore 64 power jack?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 16:42:02 CDT 2007

>   > And then there's that "mini-" stuff that seems so prevalent these days.
>
> I hate those connectors with a passion, they're so small that they're almost

So do I. One of the worst jobs I ever had to do was 'edit' the wiring on
a 9 pin Mini-DIN.

I don't know why they're so widely used [1]. The don't (IMHO) make
reliable contact, the solder-type plugs are often too large to fit into a
socket that was intended for a moulded one, they have nothing to recomend
them.

[1] Equally I don't see this love of making everything so darn small in
the first place. A _little_ larger (say using full-size BINs rather than
mini-DINs) would make no difference in almost all cases.

> impossible to solder up. And half the time you spend so long trying to
> solder to the pins that you end up melting the buggers....gah! :-(

Where I can, I buy the plug-to-open-end cables (or plug-to-plug and cut
them in half) from companies like RS components. Expensive, but it saves
a lot of four-letter words...