EPROM Programmers... on the cheap

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 11 14:46:51 CDT 2007

----snip----

>>$289 USD for the kit ($300 even shipped anywhere in the US):
>>
>>http://www.arlabs.com/syscost.htm
>>
>>It will do most stuff without adapters, but it *can* do 1702's if you buy
>>an adapter for it, which costs $59.00
>
>I got pretty excited, but $59 is for read only.  : (  The 1702 write module
>is $695...

Writing 1702A's is tricky. You need to be able to switch the data
lines by about 50 volts. If one is actually interested in building
one from scratch, look on Al Kossows bitsavers.org under the
Intel section. There is a manual for the MSC4 that shows a
schematic for a MP7-02 1702 programming circuit.
This board could be driven from most any digital I/O source.
Dwight