Can someone tell me what this means?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:02:34 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
>> You do realize that OS X "out of the box" has all of those things fairly
>> easy to find.
>
> Well, my ignorance comes from being too "vintage" in my Mac
> endeavors.  I certainly didn't see any of that stuff in OS 9 or 8.

OS 8 and 9 are what are referred to as "Classic" Mac OS.  It's the one
you're familiar with, all GUI, all cooperative-multitasking, no command
prompt.  They're about as different as they come.

OS X is Mach with BSD and a Mac-ish GUI on top.  I'd suggest that you
should try it.  It's actually a reasonably enjoyable experience.  It's
more "NeXTstep" than "System".

Peace...  Sridhar