Modern PC's and old ATA drives?

Rob robert at irrelevant.com
Sun Aug 12 15:46:20 CDT 2007

On 12/08/07, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to recover data from an old Conner CFS420A (420MB) Hard
> Drive for someone.
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/ata/cfs420a.html
>
> I've tried hooking it up to my two IDE-to-USB cables, I can't see it
> on my Mac when connected to either.  I can see it on my WinXP system
> when connected to the older cable (which oddly enough doesn't like
> most HD's I've plugged into it).  However, I don't see any sign of
> partitions.

I had a drive behave like this once.  Rather than trying to get
Windows to recognise it, I recovered most of the data using a prodct
called R-Studio <http://www.r-tt.com/> -  looking at their website the
software should identify and cope with pretty much anything,   They've
a downloadable demo so you can see if it will work for you..  I used
it on a FreeBSD drive, via a USB-IDE adapter on a WInXP laptop, so a
old Windows drive should be a doddle.

Rob