The storage question

feldman.r at comcast.net feldman.r at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 09:00:39 CDT 2007

>From: "Jason T" <silent700 at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: The storage question
>On 8/16/07, Andrew Burton <aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Where can you buy silica gel for home/storage use?
>Here's a small pack.  There ought to be larger ones out there somewhere:
>http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-SILICA-5-Silica-gel-pack/dp/B00014K3WK
>The storage facility where I've rented sells pint-sized pots of
>"moisture absorber," which appears to be just a plastic container of
>silica with a vented top.

For rust prevention, has anyone tried volatile corrosion inhibitors? A suitable-looking one is the "Small Enclosed-Area Corrosion Inhibitors and Corrosive-Gas Absorber" (http://www.mcmaster.com/, catalog page 2049, $13 for one good up to 11 cu.ft) or those at http://www.theinhibitor.com/ .
The one at McMaster-Carr says it is good for electrical enclosures, but I wonder if there are any harmful effects on plastics or IC's.

Bob