Odd QIC-like tape

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 16:58:14 CDT 2007

A few days ago somebody here was asking about a QIC-like drive that
didn't have optioncal BOT/EOT sensors, and wondered what tapes it used.

Yesterday I obtained a car-load of HP150-related stuff. And amongst it
was a pair of HP tape drive,s the 9144 and 9145, which use special HP
pre-formatted tapes.

Those had come to mind when I read the first posting, but I thought the
tape was an HP 'special' so not relevant to the OP's machine But while
looking at theAustralian museum (http://www.hpmuseum.net/), I found a
link to a site that impliex these tapes were standard 3M products of the
time ,the format was not custom HP, etc.

The OP might want to look at that site and follow the links for
'storage', 'magnetic tape' and 'HP9144' (or 'HP9145'). I think that will
turn up a like or twon that will be helpful