HP DraftMaster I

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 16:07:29 CDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> I've seen serial printers get plugged into parallel ports on PCs.
> I've even had untrained lab staff ask for gender changers, in order to be
> able to use "those other ports" (DB25M) for parralel printers!

Did they remember to ask for a hammer to make sure they were seated
firmly in the wrong ports?  ;-)

> > Indeed, though it _might_ be possible to get a USB-RS232 dongle to
> > work, if you can get the plotter to function with various hardware
> > handshake lines shorted or tied together.
>
> I am NOT going to attempt to talk a newbie through THAT!

Fair enough.

> > I don't ever remember seeing OS-level _plotter_ drivers.
>
> Some earlier versions of Windoze (3.10?) purported to.

Hmm... I did fiddle with plotters with Unix, VMS, and DOS, decades
ago, but I have to admit to never attempting to do it with Windows.

>  Monte Hanrahan and
> I were going to hook up a Draftmaster I to a PC, but before we got to it,
> the college administation came through one weekend, and dumpstered "all
> that junk", even the stuff that we had in the glass display case!

Ow!

OTOH, perhaps my DraftMaster II _was_ "all that junk" - I got it from
Uni surplus for $25 after it was marked down from $100, since it
wouldn't print a test page on command.  Turned out to be a jammed pen
in the carousel.  I'd love to run across a take-up motor and spool for
it - right now, it's limited to 3' or 4'-long plots.  With the
optional take-up kit, you can plot on the entire roll, since the Y
motors don't have to support the entire weight of the output side of
the paper.

-ethan