Using old disks drives

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 15:33:26 CST 2007

> On Dec 3, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Richard wrote:
> > Then there's the power needs.  An RL01 requires a helluva lot more
> > power to run on a regular basis than an RL01 emulator connected to a
> > PC and the MTBF is much, much higher with the emulator.
>
>    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on both counts.  The fact that many
> of us have RL01 drives that are still working (without having been
> repaired) counters the MTBF argument, and an RL drive pulls something

I would also argue that MTBF is unimportant in a machine used for a
hobby.

I'd much rather have a machine that required minor maintenance/repair
every year or so (requiring, perhaps, that the fans be taken apart and
cleaned, or ta few TTL chips replaced) than one that ran for 3 yeasrs and
then failed in a catastrophic way (requriing the replacement of, say, a PC
motherboard or a modern hard disk).

Incidnetally, I feel this way about things other than computers. 'Sealed
for life' bearings are a pain. I'd rather go round every month with a
grease gun :-)