Information on the AtariLab Interface

Mark Meiss chaosotter76 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:18:09 CST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 3:42 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at usap.gov> wrote:

> Interesting.  My own curiosity is from the standpoint of being able to
> hang them off of Commodore, not Atari, hardware.  It all seems rather
> straightforward from your description.

I think it should be.  As I understand it, the joystick ports on the C64 are
wired to the bidrectional parallel pins on the CIA, so it seems like it
would just be a matter of setting the data direction registers as
appropriate.

> Do you have any info on the sensor probes?

Not much, unfortunately.  The base system comes with only the temperature
probe, which handles a 23F - 113F (-5C to 45C) range and is basically a
thermistor on a wire.  Its response is not particularly linear -- after
calibration it's accurate to about 1C at the low end and 2C at the high end.

I know there's a light module as well, which I assume is just a
photoresistor on a wire, but I don't know if any others were produced.  All
of these was released in 1983, which was a Bad Year for Atari...