"Requiem for the Mainframe" on CBC-Radio, 4 PM Saturday

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 11:31:58 CST 2007

> I was going to post a pointer to this from Digg before the list was shut
> down.  If you can stomach the Youtoob video, you will see that some very
> nice stuff we on the list would like was hauled out and dumped in the
> snow for the occasion.  I know that probably (or possibly, I don't want
> to argue)  a lot of this went to gold scrappers, rather than being
> salvaged for use in someones system, but it just sort of makes me cringe
> when I see nice vintage equipment treated like this because it is so
> rare be able to salvage a lot of stuff.

Cripes, get a grip on it!

The "vintage equipment" was a rather modern Amdahl, and the machine
"dumped in the snow" was a cardboard box painted to look like a
computer.

Hmmm, next post says:

"  I have no problem with people being clueless about a certain thing or
field...but cluelessness accompanied by assumption, often further
accompanied by assertion, is infuriating."

Yep. The blade cuts both ways.

--
Will