Washing Machine Drives [was: Homebrew Drum Computer (magnetic heads)]

Robert Nansel bnansel at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 18 20:25:20 CST 2007

Thank you very kindly for the offer.  I'd be glad to study whatever
materials you have, and I'd pay for the postage; if I can't use them
I would send them back.  Maybe ought to wait until I get some of the
logic up and running first, though.

So far, however, I'm having zero luck finding washing machine
platters or spindles.  There are a couple Data General drives on
ebay, but I sure can't afford to ship those to Australia!

What I need is something like the drive unit from a Data Disc F-
series hard drive.  IIRC, they had 12" platters, which would be
perfect for my machine (plus bitsavers has got the schematics!).  I
wouldn't turn down 14-inchers, mind you; the smaller size would fit
in my car easier.

Twenty-five years ago I remember being annoyed that I had to trip
over gear like that to get to the *good* stuff at United Products in
Seattle.  Ah, well, I was a poor university student at the time, and
even if I had bought one and hung on to it, my wife would surely have
had me committed if I had even proposed dragging such a thing to
Australia...

-Bobby