Yet another VT-100 emulator

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Dec 24 20:21:52 CST 2007

On Monday 24 December 2007 13:57, M H Stein wrote:
> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:20:15 -0000
> From: "Ensor" <classiccmp at memory-alpha.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: Yet another VT-100 emulator
>
> <snip>
>
> >But like everyone else, you've missed the point. The OP was originally
> >asking about standard IBM cards, not about VESA "standard" cards which are
> > a different kettly of fish....
> >TTFN - Pete.
>
> ------------
> Actually, I think *you*'re missing the point of this whole thread, which is
> the feasibility of 132 column mode in Dave's VT-100 emulator; FYI I'll
> quote the OP: ...
> "Does anyone know if any of the more modern (ie: VGA) cards support
> enhanced 132 column text modes? - And is the video addressing basically the
> same except for 132 words of memory per line instead of 80? And where to
> find more information? If it could be reliably determined that support was
> there, and it is compatible with my text windowing code, it would not be
> difficult to add support for it." ...

I kept seeing stuff about what the OP wanted but didn't remember the post and
didn't want to jump in,  but this helps...

I have a habit of altering my /etc/lilo.conf file after a linux install,  and
changing the line that sometimes refers to a framebuffer or which says "vga =
normal" to activate a line that says "vga = ask".  When I do that I get
prompted after boot to hit <return> to see video modes,  and after doing so I
get a list of what it's found so far.  At that point I can also type "scan"
and have it look for some more,  if I want,  but since (in the case of my
server at least) I find a nice 132x60 mode that's still quite readable,  I
don't usually bother any more.  I recently changed that line to specify that
mode directly after we had our fun and games with the ice storm and the
glitches that caused,  choice "a" being also shown as  "030c" putting the
line "vga = 0x030c" did the trick.

I don't know the system well enough to say exactly where one might start
looking,  but a perusal of the source code of any recent linux should show
this code,  both the one that comes up with the initial list and the one that
probes further,  when "scan" is typed,  to give a pretty good idea of how
it's done.

Hope this helps...

-
M Dakin