TRS-80 Model 1 (was: Arty computers (was: Re: PDP-11/70 in Yates Center, KS)

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 22:47:09 CST 2007

I used the 7070 because that was all that was available.  Don't know the
7090.  But at the time the 7070 was the best available.  The US gov paid
dearly for it even though it had only 9K of memory, 10 bit words and no hard
drives, just a bank of big Ampex tape drives.  When it shut down it took 2
days to get all the blown tubes replaced so it was back up again. Needed 30
tons of air conditioning and a room as big as a basketball court to contain
it.  But again, it was the best available at the time.  It was 18 more years
before the TRS-80, Apple, and Commodore were available so, yes, it was the
best for number crunching.  Even though the team of 12 mathematicians that I
belonged to that was tasked with the solving of a particular problem with
slide rules and locked in for 72 hours until it was solved, could solve the
problem faster than the 7070 for the first six months we had it.  After 6
months of tweaking the program (which was on pull out boards with jumpers)
they finally got the 7070 where it could beat us regularly and with equal
accuracy.  That was a relief for us since we really hated those 72 hour
"lock ins" which could come on a moments notice usually starting in the
middle of the night.  But I think my wife hated them even more because she
didn't even know where I was or what I was doing.  All she knew was, "Good
night, honey, I will see you in a few days."

As to enabling the computer, I think loading a program is enabling...don't
you?

Please don't talk down to me.  I think I have been around computers as long
as you and I don't like your condescending tone..

--
Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."