TRS-80 Model 1 (was: Arty computers (was: Re: PDP-11/70 inYates Center, KS)

aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 18:42:11 CST 2007

 --- Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2007 at 23:54, arcarlini at iee.org wrote:
>

> > A few days ago I read a claim that floppies are
> used infrequently
> > these days (compared to how often they used to b
> used) so the
> > dust and grime that gets sucked through a drive
> has longer to
> > accumulate before being deposited onto the
> occasional floppy
> > that does make it in there (for a BIOS upgrade o
> whatever).
>
> Horsepucky.
>
> (I know--I should quit mincing my words and say wh
at
> I *really*
> think :) )
>
> My drives get used a lot--and are scrupulously
> maintained.  Modern
> 3.5" DSHD media is garbage.  I have far better luc
> with DS2D 3.5".
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

Most of the 3.5" drives at work are hardly used.
We only use about 4 computers to transfer
data to/from the analytical machines.
Another one transfers data directly to a PC
via the network.

That leaves about 7 computers that we rarely
(maybe once every 3 months) use the 3.5" floppy
drive on.

Regards,
Andrew D. Burton
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk