enabled vs loaded / was Re: TRS-80 Model 1 (was: Arty computers (was: Re: PDP-11/70 inYates Center, KS)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Feb 3 17:32:59 CST 2007

Warren Wolfe wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 13:35 -0600, Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
>
> > I still have several of all three and at the time I would use my
> > TRS-80 whenever I was programming.  The others were FUN machines made for
> > children while the TRS-80 was capable of programming in BASIC, FORTRAN,
> > NLOS, FORTH and Assembly to name only the languages that I had  enabled on
> > my machine.
>
>     "Enabled?"  Uh, it APPEARS that you don't understand the concept.
> Languages are LOADED on a machine, they're not there waiting to be
> "enabled" and then used -- other than the BASIC in ROM on several
> machines, the IBM included.  Any language could be implemented on either
> the Apple or the Commodore, and a wide variety WERE implemented -- I'll
> leave it to the outraged fans of both camps to provide a detailed
> list...

To Warren:

Jim's use of the word 'enabled' may not have been typical in the circumstance,
but it was perfectly understandable what he meant. The word 'enabled' can be
used in a fairly general manner.

I had no difficulty discerning condescension in your response above, and I was
certainly more impressed by Jim's simple request to avoid it than by your
subsequent response.

As you wish to be pedantic about the use of words: one does not "load a
language" onto a machine, one loads a compiler or interpreter program for a language.

And to further make the point: once one has loaded the compiler or interpreter
for a language, the machine has then been enabled to 'comprehend' that
language. Actually, I would suggest Jim's terminology is really the more
technically accurate. If you disagree, you may wish to review or educate
yourself about the distinction between a language and it's compiler or interpreter.

>             Peace,
>
>             Warren E. Wolfe
>             wizard at voyager.net

I have noticed during your tenure-to-date on the list that for someone with
"Peace" in your sig, you certainly are (to be kind about it..) argumentative.