Time-Life "Mathematics" / was Re: OS/2 stillborn

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:05:13 CST 2007

On 2/3/07, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
> >
> > There is, IIRC, a picture of a Stretch in the Time-Life book
> > "Mathematics".  I don't have my copy close at hand, but I _think_ the
> > one in the photo was being used for weather modelling...
>
> I still have that book too, Ethan. I received it as a little kid in the late
> 60's and share your sentiments about it.

I have it, too; but I am not sure where it is at the moment....
(*rummage* *rummage*...)  Just found a second copy - all of $0.30USD
from Half-Price books.  This edition is (c) 1963, 1971, U.S. Library
of Congress catalog number 63-18983, for the bibliographically
curious.

> Looking at the double-page spread of Stretch right now

Me too, now.  Pages 26-27.

> ... the text says it
> belonged to the U.S. Weather Bureau ("analyses 90,000 weather reports at
> once", "addition in 1.5 millionths of a second").

There you go.  It seems that the one in the book would be the one
documented on the Stretch page recently posted in this thread.

> There's also the photo of the front panel of the IBM 704 with a chess board
> in front of it and indicated to be running a chess-playing program,

I remember the photo.  Didn't remember the model of the computer.

> ... another IBM 70?0 series machine doing moon-flight calculations,
> ... imposing photos of Claude Shannon (in front of what may be part of
>  Whirlwind) and Kurt Godel,
> ... John Kemeny having a discussion with some students at Dartmouth,
> ... etc, etc.

Yep.  When I ran across these (now famous) names years later, they
always seemed familiar.

The page about bananas for 1101(2) cents a pound took me a bit to wrap
my head around, but it came in handy when binary (BCD) clocks were all
the rage in the early 1970s.

-ethan