How to archive a 16mm film of an RCA 501

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 3 18:31:37 CST 2007

> I have access to a 16mm film reel with sound of an RCA 501
> demonstration. It's not in very good shape though. It has curled some
> and smells like vinegar. Is there any way to transfer it without

First thought. 16mm film is alomost certain to be 'safety film' [1] and
thus have a sellulose acetate (not cellulose nitrate) base. Vinegar ==
acetic acit. I wonder if, alas, the film base is breaking down.

Second thought. Tread carefully. You have what is probably an
irreplaceable artefact there. Don't do anything if you're not sure...

[1] 16mm was originally an amateur format, and from the start it was
regarded as a Bad Thing to let amateurs use the very inflammable
cellulose nitrate film. In fact the 16mm gauge was chosen to make it
uneconomical to slit down from 35mm film stock to prevent offcuts of
professional (and thus possibly cellulose nitrate) film ending up on
amaetur spools

Somebody else suggested scanning each frame sepatately. Now sound film
normally runs at 24 frames per scond, so even if it's only a 5 minute
film, that's still 7200 frames to scan. Rather a lot of work.

If uou do manage to get it into a projectable state, I'd make at least 2
simulatanous recordings of the sound track. For example, if you're
trasnfering to to a computer, that will do as one eecording, but I'd also
make an analouge tape recording of the sound, and maybe some other
recording too. Then if something goes wrong you've still got _a_ version
of the soundtrack. It may not be very good, but it's a lot better than
nothing.