TRS-80 Model I

Tim Shoppa shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com
Sun Feb 4 14:49:23 CST 2007

"Ethan Dicks" <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Pete Turnbull <pete at dunnington.plus.com> wrote:
> > Neither did I, for much the same reasons.  And I had to repair quite a
> > few that went out of alignment, and some that had released the magic
> > smoke when someone plugged the drives in "off by one" after they
> > disconnected them to move the machine.
>
> That was a problem I also saw with the drives.  Several of my friends
> had Apple IIs (I had a 32K PET 2001-N), and ISTR more than one person
> did that.  Not cheap.  My memory is that at the time, the bare drives
> were $600 new, so even if one just replaces boards, it's not
> inexpensive in that environment.

I recall that the "off by one" cable mistake required replacement
of a socketed chip, a ULN2003-type driver? A less than one dollar
part.

I know we like to argue about component level debugging, but there's
only a small number of chips on the boards involved, all socketed.
Heck, except for the PROM you could replace every single chip
for circa $12.00.

Tim.