Preservation of Correspondence - And Media

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 17:40:24 CST 2007

> Can't say the same for *some* players I've owned (thinks of Magnavox crap
> in wastebasket about three months later just after the warranty expired).

IIRC Magnavox are essentially Philips. In the UK, Philips CD players were
knwon for developing dry joiuts. A complete re-solder would get them
going again and then they'd essentially go for ever...

It's a pity about the dry joint problem. The swinging-arm pickup
positioner (essentially like a moving coil meter movement) was a lot
simpler than the 2-stage servo system (course positioneing using a motor
and leadscrew, fine positioning usinf a 'moving coil movemnt' on the
objective lense, and  has many fewer parts to wear out. So it should be
ver y reliable...