Google on hard drive failures

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Sat Feb 24 10:32:58 CST 2007

Hmm- it would be nice if they identified the manufacturer that has
notably higher failure rates, but I think I can make a guess (WD?)

On the other hand, (perhaps it's just an age thing) I have had several
drives of the IDE and SCSI types fail, and it seems that the SCSI
drives are more likely to do it in the "operatic heroine" manner and
either take a long time to do it or come back to life a few times
allowing one to recover a bit of the data changed since last backup.
IDEs tend to die rapidly and finally. Note that this is just my
experience.

What are current reliability rankings re: cheapo (SATA/IDE) drives
(similar to what one would use to store classiccmp-related documents
and software on)?