Tek 7904 scope

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Feb 26 23:34:05 CST 2007

I think I may know why it was so cheap. The power supply died right after
dinner today. Powering it up results only in "tick tick tick tick..."

At 07:48 PM 2/26/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>>>Sure, absolutely. The item number originally posted for $299 has
>>>been lost. The relist at my price is below. Try not to drool on the
>>>knobs- they get slippery and hard to adjust ~(:-)      that's me
>>>with a feather in my cap.
>>>
>>>Item number: 330089349032
>>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK
>>>%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330089349032&rd=1&rd=1
>>
>>   A truly tasty device!  That's an excellent score.  A great scope
>>in a great configuration, at an excellent price.
>
>Well, I have said device in my hands now and have been playing with it,
>trying to see if all the bits work. I haven't played with the curve tracer
>yet, but I have the manuals for all the plug-ins downloaded, also three or
>four slightly different manuals for the scope itself. I'm having a lot of
>fun working with it.
>
>It plays pretty nice. I've been running through the checkout process in
>the manual are so far there's only two concerns:
>1. The display swims, more like twitches, from left to right, rapidly and
>constantly, somewhat less than one minor division, meaning about half a
>millimeter at a rough guess. It does it on any/all channels on both the
>7A26 vertical amp and the 7A18 amp.
>
>I don't have another timebase to check out, but when I switch to the curve
>tracer instead of my 7B53A,  the twitch in the on-screen readouts for
>controls settings stops. Of course, with the curve tracer, you can't sync
>up, but the readouts clue you that it is/is not dancing around.
>
>I tried swapping the timebase into the A slot, instead of the B slot (the
>7CT1N wants to be in an inside slot) but the twitch is still there.
>
>2. The Ch1 input on my second vertical amp seems to attenuate the signal
>by a tenth. The 4v calibrator at 1khz or DC reads 0.4v, set at 1v/div. The
>other input on the same plug-in reads 4v. Set to 0.5 v/div, the bad input
>reads about 1.2v. Switching the calibrator to 0.4v and the bad input to
>.2v/div gives similar results.
>
>I'm working my way through the manuals, learning as I go.
>

>[Toasts] Here's a toast to your new bride who has everything a girl
>could want in her life, except for good taste in men!
>tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
>"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
>43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
>WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531

[Literature] We must wrestle with time for some seven decades, and he
is a weak and puny antagonist in the first three bouts. --
"Carcassonne", Lord Dunsany