Network question

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 23:01:28 CST 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> BTW, manually altering the setting on the 100BaseT NICs does appear
> to make a significant difference in performance, although Win2K does
> appear to be doing the cybernetic equivalent of passing a kidney
> stone when settings are being changed.

I have this laptop here with an Intel gigabit chipset onboard.  When I
look at the speed/duplex configuration section of the driver
configuration under Windows XP, the choices I am presented with are full
auto, 10Mbps half, 10Mbps full, 100Mbps half, 100Mbps full and 1000Mbps
auto.

How come there's no 1000Mbps half/full settings?  The performance
problems I'm having are when I'm connecting to a gigabit network.  Will
setting to 1000Mbps auto help?

Peace...  Sridhar