Network question

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue Jan 2 12:08:34 CST 2007

At 12:38 PM 12/31/2006, Chuck Guzis wrote:
>My DSL speed is 1.6Mbps, so I'm thinking that there's little reason
>to upgrade the setup.  Am I thinking correctly or am I likely to see
>an improvement in internet access speed if I upgrade?

I vote for the upgrade, just on principle.  Pulling new wire
rejuvenates the spirit.  I think the blood sacrifice improves
the transfer times, too.  Here is some old advice on this topic,
at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ipprimer.com/ethernet.cfm

If I were to summarize Jay's advice as further justification for
an upgrade, it would be "if you don't measure, you don't know."

You've measured throughput and discovered some slow spots, but
did you also measure latency, and would improved latency make
your contemporary computers happier on the Internet?

- John