Outbound Laptop; Was: Mac OS vintage

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Jan 5 13:35:39 CST 2007

>Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:43:12 -0500
>From: Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com>

>Jeff Walther wrote:
>>
>>Additionally, the Outbound Laptop is an interesting beast in that it
>>uses 2.5" IDE hard drives.   This is the first Macintosh to use an
>>IDE device by many many years.   I don't think any Apple Mac used
>>them until the Quadra 630 and its performa and LC cousins.
>
>Perhaps true, but there were macs with 3.5" st-506 drives long before
>that.

There may have been Apple machines with ST-506s but unless my memory
is much worse than I hope, there was never a Macintosh with an
ST-506.   Unless you're thinking of the "Macintosh Hard Disk 20"?
But looking through old emails, that has a Rodime Model 552 drive
inside with a mysterious 26 pin interface, not an ST-506.

>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:26:08 -0800
>From: "Billy Pettit" <Billy.Pettit at wdc.com>

>I'm not familiar with the Outbound Laptop.  What was the model number?

Outbound was a company.   So they were producing non-Apple
Macintoshes by scavenging Apple ROMs from Apple machines.

The model number in this case is the Laptop Model 125.   A very cool
machine with four SIMM sockets devoted to a "silicon disk"--that is a
dedicated RAM Disk.   You could install up to 16MB in there--at
least.  I have not tried 16 MB SIMMs yet.

The keyboard was detachable and had an IR interface.  It also had a
trackbar ("isopoint") at the bottom of the keyboard.   A ?-bus (not
PS2, not ADB that other one used on PCs (required an ISA card) with a
round connector) mouse could be plugged into the keyboard if one
preferred a mouse.   Additionally, using the optional SCSI adapter,
the Laptop could be "docked" as an accessible SCSI device on any
Macintosh with a SCSI interface.

>I do know that I was supporting Apple at Quantum in early 1994 and qualified
>an IDE 2.5 inch drive for their laptops.

The Laptop 125 was around as early as February 1990.    I'm not
certain exactly when it was first released.  It pred-dates the
Powerbooks.   So, e.g. the cool SCSI docking feature was available on
an Outbound, long before it was a feature on the PowerBooks.

Jeff Walther