Compuserve wayback machine

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:53:56 CST 2007

On 1/10/07, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 at 15:05, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>
> > My old (1982) CIS number was on the mailing label for my monthly
> > magazine (forget the title), but in 2001, when I worked there, there
> > was no trace of it.  Go figure ;-)
>
> It doesn't matter--the account has to be current.  I just tried with
> my CIS number and password (yes--I could remember both :)) and got
> the following message:
>
> Last access: 18:16 22-Dec-04
>
>      Copyright (c) 2007

!!!  Still live, then.

> One moment please ...
>
> Thank you for signing on!  Our records show that you once
> were a CompuServe member.  Please call your local CompuServe
> Customer Service to re-activate your CompuServe account [xxxxx,xxxx]
> or use 'Sign-up' to set up a new account.

Interesting... I'll have to dig up that old magazine and check my mailing lable.

One of the things I did long ago was to beta-test a slick C-64 VidTex
(text plus simple character-based color graphics) client.  I still
have the xeroxed preliminary manual and a disk image with the client.
Turns out that 20 years later, I was working in the same group with
some of the guys who developed content that was designed for that
client.  They were pretty pleased to see me bring it in and fire it up
under VICE.  Nice little trip down memory lane for them.

-ethan