rqdx3 firmware

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Jan 10 19:24:00 CST 2007

Brad Parker wrote:

> I put in the v4 eeproms and was able to format the drive;  I'm not sure
> if it was the eproms, however.

Probably not, the formatter contains the relevant table for the drive
configuration, not the ROMs.  However, the ROMs do contain diagnostic
and formatting routines, which are invoked by a special set of commands,
distinct from normal MSCP commands/routines, and it may be that the
oldest ROMs don't have something needed for later drives like RD31 etc.

> Pretty much all of the posted examples of zrqch0 use for st-2xx drives
> were incorrect.

You mean which DEC names match which drives (RD31 is 20MB ST-225, RD32
is whatever is 40MB, RD33 is 65MB) or how to invoke the right stages of
the formatter?

> I started experimenting
> and finally figured out how to get it to format the drive.  Basically
> telling it not to autoformat and to ignore existing bad block info.

Yep, that's about it, as far as I remember.  A log would be useful as a
record and aide-memoire, though.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager