a riv[e]ting topic

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jan 12 13:54:16 CST 2007

On 12 Jan 2007 at 0:00, Robert wrote:

> Speaking of pop rivets: There is a kitplane (an excellent work horse of a plane) that makes use of thousands of
> closely spaced pop rivets. I used to be able to recall its name off the top of my head, but this library computer
> will not allow me to open another instance of my browser (to search google and figure it out). It was a sort of ugly, boxy, utilatarian looking plane. It was so "ugly" that it was actually very cool!! It's supposedly nearly
> "indestructable."

Are you perhaps thinking of the Bede 5?  A friend decided to assemble
one in the living room of his second-story apartment.  I think he
ruined the place utterly, what with the swarf from the thousands of
holes drilled or the broken-off stubs of pop rivets that were left in
the green shag carpeting, not to mention the oil from the snowmobile
engine, etc.  I seem to recall that there some problem getting the
completed craft out of the building...

At the same time, I was building a harpsichord in my third-story
apartment and while the carpet was pretty dirty from all of the
sawdust, I think it was salvageable.

Cheers,
Chuck