a riviting topic

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jan 12 13:55:51 CST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Jules Richardson wrote:
> Is rivit a US variation or a typo? (it's 'rivet' this side of the pond)

It usually is on this side, also.

> Anyhoo... agreed that for this kind of work it should be fine. The tool needed
> should cost virtually nothing (I'd certainly expect it to be less than $10US)
> and is really easy to work with.
> Places like Halfords and B&Q will sell them in the UK (along with better tool
> shops too); in the US Home Depot almost certainly have them and probably
> Wal-mart too. Same applies to the rivets themselves.

Harbor Freight  www.harborfreight.com

Pop-rivets are available in various sizes and materials.  For this,
aluminum would probably do.

There are also "riv-nuts", that leave a threaded hole down the middle when

> I've always wondered how the massive rivets on ships are put in, in particular
> how on earth they get them to also be watertight around the hole!

"Real" rivets require access to both sides, and are beaten against an
anvil.   For some uses, "real" rivets are put in red hot, and tighten up
more as they cool.

More information about the cctalk mailing list