VAXstation 3100/76 configured as VAXserver and NetBSD

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Sat Jan 13 12:40:45 CST 2007

I have a old VAXstation 3100/76 I'm playing around with (it's
surprising how much faster the VAX 4000/200 "seems" - guess it's better
memory and I/O bandwidth). The beastie is not-quite-complete (running
it as a VAXserver, and the external SCSI connector has been replaced
with a HD-50 that isn't functional- not sure if that's bad wiring or
bad SCSI chip), but it does have a full 32MB RAM and all the tests it
fails are explainable (?? on the network (since it's not connected,
that's expected), ? on the serial lines (no kb/mouse connected there)
and the external SCSI (nothing connected and known issues).

Anyway-to the question: Neither NetBSD 2.0 or 3.0 will install
successfully. They both segfault, usually during install but once I got
3.0 installed and it was very limited functionality. Officially the
3176 is supported, but is NetBSD known to be tempermental? (I'm not
sure if it's the VAX or the software - VMS boots fine, but if the
system's wonky I won't bother with it anymore).

Can't test NetBSD on my other VAX (4000-200), since SHAC isn't
supported.