Digital archaeology of the microcomputer, 1974-1994

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 13:38:35 CST 2007

> On 17 Jan 2007 at 17:14, Richard wrote:
>
> > Ditto.  Except that I focus on graphics and terminals and you'd be
> > surprised how many terminals have "already gone over the brink" as it
> > were.  People keep CPUs for nostalgia.  They chuck the terminal.
>
> Richard, what you do for terminals is certainly worthwhile.  However,
> given the description of a terminal (e.g. user's manual), I can
> easily emulate one or, if worse comes to worst, build one from modern

OK, I have a terminal here. I also have the user manual, which takes up
most of a bookshelf. I'd love to see you emulate _that_ easily.

BTW, it's an Eveans and Sutherland PS390. Complete with tablet,
twiddlebox (with LED displays to label the knobs), keyboard (with LED
displays to lable the fucntion keys) and 3D spectacles.

> components.
>
> A CPU is much harder.
>
> Peripherals (e.g. tapes, disks, printers)  are the hardest.  If I
> were to collect something for preservation, it'd be peripherals.

As an electroncis (as opposed to computer) enthusaist, I can see as much
interest in, say, an unusual printer as in a CPU. So I try to preserve both.