Jules Richardson wrote on "Digital Archaeology of the Microcomputer, 1974-1994

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Thu Jan 18 16:59:14 CST 2007

In article <e1d20d630701181450n1e45d370t7e85270bd7948f6 at mail.gmail.com>,
    "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli at gmail.com>  writes:

> > That's what I mean -- few people collected them at the time for
> > collecting's sake.  If you're getting objects for utilitarian
> > purposes, I don't think that qualifies as "collecting".
>
> Well, no, but for Ford (and others), it meant for much easier pickings.

Because noone else seems interested in terminals, I get "easy
pickings" sometimes too.  The most interesting terminal I have cost me
99 cents :-).  My ESV workstations were free.

> Henry Ford was not the only one to do this, but he is the most well
> known. Shelburne museum is also well known, and almost as big.

You mean this one?  <http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/collections/>
They seem like more of an art/craft museum than an artifact museum.

> There
> are also dozens of smaller groups around the country as well, and when
> you read the histories of how they came to be, more than a few were
> started by some nut that could not throw away anything. Like us.

Heh heh.