Archiving workstation hard drives

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Jan 19 13:35:29 CST 2007

 > Actually, I've never needed to try this - but is it reasonable to expect a
 > "modern" system to be able to archive (using dd) a SCSI drive that's been
 > formatted to something other than a 512 byte block size?

I think it is. Modern systems will be the ones that have mass storage systems
and networks capable of dealing with disc dumps.

When I've done this, though, I've written my own disc dumping code using SCSI
command blocks to the low-level interface.

This was necessary for archiving TI Explorer discs, which have 256 byte blocks
but are SCSI devices (MFM drive and ACB 4000 host adapter).