Jules Richardson wrote on "Digital Archaeology of the Microcomputer, 1974-1994

Alexandre Souza alexandre-listas at e-secure.com.br
Sat Jan 20 09:04:40 CST 2007

> All of the consumer devices tied to backend services are a perfect example
> of devices that are absolutely useless once a company fails.
> Unfortunately,
> revenue models based on this model are on the increase.

    No, it isn't.

    I'm yet to see a consumer device tied to a backend that cannot be
reverse-engineered. Take a look at the MS tv boxes, as an example. Nowadays
it is EASIER to figure out how something works than before, because we have
the internet, we have datasheets and we have communication between all
people in earth - incluiding the developers of that device.

    Things are getting easier!