Looking for OS/278 to boot up a DECmate I

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:29:48 CST 2007

On 1/20/07, djg at pdp8.net <djg at pdp8.net> wrote:
> >the "easiest" way to get OS/278 to a DECmate I
> >is by copying a boot floppy and putting it in the mail.  Can anyone on
> >the list assist me with this?
> >
> I can make them and send them.  I have most of the bits for a DECmate I
> but not enough to be functional.  I did make these images for people
> but never heard back if they worked ok.
> http://www.pdp8.net/images/images/os8/DECmate_I.shtml

I'd be curious to hear if those worked, too.

> They are also RX02 format which is what their machines seemed to be
> set up for.  Is yours set for RX02?

I have a single set of RX02s in my pedestal, and I could add a second
set (or use an external table-top enclosure from a MINC-11) if I
built/aquired a Y cable.

> I can put these on floppies or if you know of a known good RX01/RX02
> image for a DECmate I can use it.

I do not know of any verified-good DECmate I images.

> >One of my goals, BTW, is to snarfle off images of my PDP-8
> >RX01 and RX02 disks for preservation and sharing...

> If your doing that the disks will be free.

Thanks!

> If you don't have a program to dump I have one at
> ftp://ftp.pdp8.net/software/dumprest/
> which can dump RX01 and RX02 over the serial port.

Sounds perfect.  I remember reading about dumprest, but have never
gotten a PDP-8 with more than one serial port installed since I heard
about it.

> The code will need to be modified to use the serial port on the DECmate.
> Kermit source should show that.

IIRC, it should just be a matter of changing the serial port IOTs,
right?  (or did DEC do something screwy with the AUX port as well as
the console port?)

> Mine makes image useable by SIMH which is the same format they are on my website.

An excellent format.

Thanks, David.

-ethan