Strange things found in a free SPARC 20

Mon Jan 22 10:03:00 CST 2007

>> I used an SS20 [...] I found it to be a fairly nice system.  The
>> VSIMM (SX video), gives you 24 bit video, and drops it right on the
>> memory bus...
> Isn't it unaccelerated 24-bit video though?

Yes and no.  There's some special hardware there, such as a DMA engine
that I think can be used as a screen-to-screen blitter, but in typical
Sun fashion it's undocumented. :-(

> Did Sun ever make an accelerated 24-bit card?

See the SUNW,leo that I mentioned earlier - it occupies two slots, but
it's got 24 bits of colour depth and according to Sun's doc is has
quite a lot of 3D rendering hardware - though, again, it's not
documented as far as I've been able to find.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca