Archiving workstation hard drives

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jan 22 15:57:15 CST 2007

On 22 Jan 2007 at 13:56, Jules Richardson wrote:

> The only downsides:
>
>    1) Lack of long filename support (if I'm archiving something I prefer to
> give it a long name rather than having to poke into the archive contents to
> see what something is),
>    2) Lack of remote administration (control via serial port or network would
> be handy in some cases).

(1)  Just load DOSLFN in your config.sys--you get long filename
support (at least under DOS 7.x) without having to run Windoze.

(2) Run under Win9x--you get TCP/IP support as well as support for a
few other protocols.  Win9x doesn't get in the way of doing direct
port access, generally speaking.

No, I'm not an MS booster, but I do like as little interference as
possible when I'm twiddling bits on ports.

Cheers,
Chuck