Sun Graphics Options

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 00:18:39 CST 2007

On 1/22/07, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> <http://www.sunshack.org/data/fbfaq/FrameBuffer.html>
>
> They also say:
>
>     "cgfourteen
>
>     Also known as the SX and spam, this is a very different kind of
>     frame buffer.... For each display a VSIMM is required; two types
>     are available, 4Mb or 8Mb. The 8Mb VSIMM allows a resolution of
>     1280x1024 at a depth of 24 bits; the 4Mb VSIMM allows up to
>     1280x1024 at 8 bits or 1152x900 at 24 bits.

Very handy... thanks for that.  I just got handed a bag of SS20 memory
(along with a few other Sun goodies) today at lunch - for the price of
lunch for my buddy.  I'm leaning towards a VSIMM for my new SS20 -
might be just the thing to go with this 17E10 on my desk here
(presently being used as a PeeCee monitor with a 13W3F<->HD15M adapter
and a single internal jumper wire ;-)

I didn't get the chance to play with much Sun hardware over the past
year, just a couple of unhappy Ultra 30s... it's been fun breaking out
some of the Sun hardware and setting it all up again... it's one of
those times I lament the lag in the descent of SCA drive
gigs-to-dollars ratio compared to ATA and SATA hard drives.

-ethan