"Immortal computing" initiative by Microsoft

arcarlini at iee.org arcarlini at iee.org
Tue Jan 23 13:39:37 CST 2007

Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> Have it as you will, but the law was changed a few years ago, and I
> noticed it because I have several "prior art" claims I could make.
> When I saw it I realized that it was no longer a defense to say "I
> meant to apply, but just dint get around to it, and here is the
> documentation to prove I thought of it first."  So I threw out all my
> notebooks.  Well most of them anyway.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/2100_2128.htm
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/2100_2129.htm
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/2200_2202.htm#sect22
02

All these suggest you can say "here is some prior art" and have it
entered
into the published patent. This doesn't immediately invalidate it (you
still presumably need a court case for that!) but it is free!

Antonio