Component level repair

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 24 11:43:38 CST 2007

On 24 Jan 2007 at 10:50, William Donzelli wrote:

> I started out at US Robotics, in their manufacturing division. For the
> years I was there, I became quite intimate with the process for
> building many of their modems and systems (Total Control).

Will, maybe you could answer something I was very curious about.  I
(probably like many people on this list) was a BBS sysop who made use
of USR modems.  Probably some of the best stuff in the business and
worth every nickel (particularly at sysop prices) I spent on them.

Upgrades however, were puzzling.  Sometimes, USR wanted me to ship
the old modem back (sans wall wart), other times they didn't care.
The most bizarre case when when a firmware upgrade was done and USR
wanted the old SRAM chip returned.  No one at USR could tell me what
they expected to do with an old 8K (?) chip.  Certainly not re-use it
in a product(!).

At any rate, my dealings with USR were always a pleasure and the
product was top notch (until I tried the Sportster modem, that is).

Cheers,
Chuck