Tandon TM848-2 Floppy drive power

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 17:06:58 CST 2007

> Tony Duell wrote:
> > I rememebr one of the old Sun machines (Sun 2?) that used an Archive
> > Sidewinder QIC drive. It has a 4 pin power connector, jsut like the one
> > on a 5.25" drive. There's only one problem. The Sidewinder uses +5V and
> > +24V.  And IIRC the only differnce in the tape drive pwoer connector was
> > the colour of thew wire to one pin.
>
> Whoo - I think you might have got it :) I was casually reading this thread and
> had a hazy memory of seeing inside some system where there was what looked to
> be a "standard" power connector when in fact it wasn't. I think you're
> probably right, and the Sun2 was it... trying to remember's been nagging at me
> all day :-)

I know for a fact that the Archive Sidewinder uses +5V and +24V, and uses
the same type of power connector as a normal 5.25" drive. The Sidewinder
is the tape drive that was used with the PERQ, which is how I came
across it.

I don't own a Sun 2, but I've heard about the 'odd' power connector, and
can certainly believe it.