mounting replacement parts / was Re: PDP-11/70 in Yates Center, KS

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 31 22:55:16 CST 2007

Tony Duell wrote:

> [1] I will drill extra mounting screw holes to fit, say, a transformer of
> different physical dimensions, but I won't cut large holes in the case or
> chage the electronic design.

In situations such as this, and if the equipment is 'worth it', I attempt to
make an 'adapter fitting', something that the replacement part will mount to
and then itself mount in the old holes/position. Usually, but not necessarily
always, this is feasible.

In particular, I don't like drilling holes in steel chassis pieces, as one
has then opened an edge in the plating where rust/corrosion can start (not
such a big concern for aluminum).

Of course, if an original replacement part turns up, perhaps from a
too-far-gone piece of the the same equipment, the ill-fitting replacement and
the adapter can be removed and you're back to 'original' state.