A little levity: "computerized FRPG"

Scott Austin us21090 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 10:53:52 CDT 2007

Zane,

A few months ago, I came across Flying Buffalo ( http://www.flyingbuffalo.com ), an old PBM company founded in 1970 that is still running.  I contacted the owner who still had records of my account from 30 years ago!  He says I have 95 cents left in my account, though I didn't ask if that was in 1976 dollars.

Kinda pulling this back on-topic, when I played back in the late 1970's, every 2-weeks or so I would receive the new game status on yellow teletype paper!

He says, ( http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/history.htm ) they first rented time on a CDC 3300, then later bought a Raytheon 704 minicomputer-  over $30,000 total. "Sigh. And it only had 4K of memory!".  From there they bought a Poly 88 computer kit, a North Star Horizon and then IBM clones.

He also told of a letter from "The Avalon Hill Game Company saying they weren't going to print my ad
for "computer moderated pbm" in the classified ads of "The General" (a wargaming magazine)  until
I sent them a letter of permission from whoever owned the computer that
I was using(!)".  He also ran into trouble with the zoning inspector: "if you wanted to have a home business, you couldn't have anything that
a normal person wouldn't have in their home, and normal people didn't
have a computer in their living room."

Today he's still using older methods for game play (snail mail, email, fax) but says using the web for entering game play is the next step.

Scott