Lilith computer running !

Jos Dreesen jos.mar at bluewin.ch
Sun Jul 15 01:07:43 CDT 2007

My interest in the Lilith computer has been restarted after some recent
post to a.f.c. ( what a mess a.f.c. is...)

I put in some extra effort  and was rewarded with a Lilith that booted
up into its Medos OS ( version 5.2)
The last time this particular machine booted its OS was in 1990 .

Which means that there is at least one machine with a complete set of
microcode and higher layers avaliable.

The machine remains VERY temperamental :
Most attempts to boot end in disk softread errors, resetting the Lilith
involves power cycling ( I looked for signs of a startupcircuit, could
not find any  )

Probably some diskplatter / head cleaning is due, not something I look
forward too.

And then there is the task of rescuing the data :

with at single RS232 channel, no software and a flat directorystructure
with over 500 entries, this looks also to be quite a task. That's right,
the Lilith does not have a hierarchical filesystem !

It does have  ethernet, but it is the very old ( first ?) 3MB standard.
AFAIK it cannot be interfaced to something more recent.

			Jos